To ensure that all accounting procedures for the individual entities in Sacramento County adhere to Salvation Army policy and that normal accounting standards are followed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
CONTRACTS AND GRANTS FOR SAC COUNTY (DHQ SUBMISSION)
- Responsible for processing all contracts and grants to DHQ for their review and corporate signatures.
- Coordinates the return of signed contracts and grants to contractors and grantors for their review and signatures.
- Forwards originals to DHQ and copies to program Department Heads, after receiving fully executed contracts.
- Set up contract and grant files and add them to tracking sheet to ensure we are meeting the billing and reporting requirements.
- Monitors contracts and grants, and attend meetings, as required by Supervisor and Contractors.
- Coordinates contract and grant activities, including Grant Writing, with Department Heads, Community Relations Coordinator and outside grant writer to make sure all grants are done.
ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE
- Maintains accounts receivable in an up-to-date and orderly manner.
- Compiles monthly, quarterly, or yearly Income & Expense reports into a billing format by how the contractors or grantors want to see them. Makes sure that the information is documented on how this billing was calculated.
- Forwards copy of billing to DHQ for posting in Accounts Receivable.
- Forwards signed billing to contractors and grantors, as per agreements.
- Reviews accounts receivable account for accuracy.
- Matches up incoming checks to accounts receivable.
- Cash Receipts: Maintain cash receipts in an up-to-date and orderly manner.
- Ensures cash receipts are coded properly by accounting clerk.
- Ensures that cash receipts have been given a receipt number.
- Ensures that cash receipts are batched and forwarded to DHQ for processing.
- Processes bad checks and advise Department Heads that a check has been returned.
- Maintains accounts payable in an up-to-date and orderly manner.
- Ensures invoices are coded properly by accounting clerk.
- Ensures that invoices have the needed approvals.
- Forward payables to DHQ for processing.
- Audits vendor statements.
- Requests payments.
- Reviews accounts payable aging report to determine problems with vendor files.
- Works with Department Heads and Operations Manager to make sure purchases and receive required DHQ approvals.
- Prepares purchase requisitions for large capital expenditures or over limit items, and forward to DHQ for review by Divisional Finance Council.
- After approval is given, forwards information to Department Heads and Operations Manager as needed.
- Makes sure that approval is filed and attached to check request.
- Works with Department Heads to formulate working budgets for their programs.
- Compiles all program budgets into a format that can be used for review and approval by DHQ and Advisory Board.
- Forwards budget to DHQ for their approval and input to the computer.
- Manage multi-million-dollar budget.
- Provides copies of approved budgets to Department Heads.
- Meets monthly with Department Heads to go over their actual costs to budget.
- Attends Advisory Board Finance Committee meetings and reviews program actual costs to budget.
- Assists DHQ in preparing for month and year-end closings, as it pertains to Sacramento County.
- Compiles monthly, quarterly, and yearly reports for Department Heads and Finance Committee, contractors and grantors.
Audits (Internal, external, & contractor auditors)
- Assists DHQ in preparation for any audits, as it pertains to Sacramento County.
- Works closely with auditors to answer any questions they may have.
- Prepares worksheets, as requested, for auditors.
- Takes auditors to programs for site visits, as requested.
- Manages and supervises the payroll for all entities in Sacramento County.
- Guides and trains payroll personnel as needed.
- Reviews payroll transmissions for accuracy and legal compliance.
- Attends various conferences and finance meetings of government and private non-profit funding organizations: SETA, DHA and City of Sacramento and Department of Education.
- Kettles: Work closely with Corps Officer(s) and Kettle Coordinator to make sure that Kettle income is handled appropriately.
- Makes sure that this information is entered to The Salvation Army Kettle program in a timely matter.
- Troubleshoots Kettle income problems.
- Orders Kettle supplies, as requested by various Kettle Coordinators
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- A minimum of three years related experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills and be able to draft and edit communications and correspondence.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment (fax machine, copier)
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to use good judgment and act in a professional manner.
- Must be able to receive instructions and be able to manage change.
- Must have organizational skills including multi-tasking, time-management, and office systems (including maintaining files).
- Must have the ability to competently speak and write the English language.
- Must be able to work with a team.
- Ability to effectively manage a wide array of tasks, projects, and responsibilities.
- Ability to conduct oneself in a calm and professional demeanor when dealing with the public and/or difficult situation.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Must possess a valid California Class C Driver License, and ability to drive a Salvation Army vehicle
- Must be 21 years or older.
- Authorize The Salvation Army to add name to the CA DMV Pull Notice Program
- Complete The Salvation Army vehicle course training.
- Ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, and twist on an intermittent or sometimes continuous basis
- Ability to grasp, push, and/or pull objects
- Ability to reach overhead
- Ability to operate telephone
- Ability to lift to 25 lbs. for administrative positions
- Ability to operate a computer
- Ability to process written, visual, and/or verbal information
- Ability to operate basic office equipment and tools PC, Fax Machine, Telephone, Calculator, Copier, Printer.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed would not result in undue hardship.
Licenses & Certifications